Friday, November 11, 2011

Longboard-making




The entire year, I've been looking forward to this project because longboarding is my favorite hobby and I'm fascinated by how they work. It began with a stencil. Thomas and I sketched half of a board on a piece of cardboard, and spent a couple days improving the design and making revisions. After that, we cut out a couple of shapes. Obviously these shapes were a little rough, so we made the proper measurements to correct this. After that, we spent hours of our free periods wielding Dremels and sandpaper, smoothing the corners. After the smoothing, I created a custom board press out of wood scraps in order to bend my board, making it more shapely and flexible, in addition to creating a better tail. After a night in the board press, I decided that my board was ready for a sealant (in this case, I used shellac.) Next, I will apply another layer of shellac as a stain and sealant, and I will conclude the day by finishing the board with a polyurethane waterproofing spray. Between the shellac and the polyurethane, I may add some sort of design under the board. After the polyurethane is thoroughly applied, I will drill holes for the trucks, and attach the riser pads, trucks, bearings and wheels. After THAT, I'll put grip tape on top of the board, and it will finally be ready to ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment